Friday, January 7, 2011

The Confession

Yes, I am in fact obsessed with Richard Armitage and have hidden it from everyone except my mother. She would have been in the dark as well if she had not been watching North and South with me that fateful night that I became aware of RA's existence. It's odd though because I had seen him in Shakespeare Retold: Macbeth not too long before watching North and South, and did not really notice him. I was too busy paying attention to James McAvoy. Not to discount Mr. McAvoy, but he really doesn't compare to RA.
The day after watching N &S I began watching the BBC's Robin Hood.
I finished the entire series 1, 2, and 3 in a week much to the detriment of finals. Then I began Spooks, then the Impressionists, then Sparkhouse, then Moving On, then Cold Feet, then Between the Sheets and then the Vicar of Dibley Christmas Special. I'm hooked, everyday I have to watch at least a clip of one of his characters. When I get on the computer there are several blogs and websites I check immediately to see if there are any updates. I feel slightly ashamed, no more than slightly, really ashamed that I've become this enthralled by an actor. But its hard not to be enthralled by his acting, there is always so much going on behind his dialogue and facial expressions, every character he inhabits displays some inner turmoil or depth that is intriguing to watch.
So my question is,
and I know there are a lot of people that have experienced this fall to Richard Armitage's amazing acting and charming good looks, does it go away? Not that I don't want to continue to see his work and enjoy it but I'd like to feel less crazy about it. For instance, I have never written a blog, I thought I might a few years ago when I started this one, but I never posted a single thing til now and its about a person I do not know.... so yeah I feel a little bit odd about my reaction to him.




Uh huh, exactly. This is what "Blue Steel" a la Zoolander was meant to look like.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome! I can completely relate. I've NEVER been a giddy fangirl, even when I was young and my peers were swooning over the likes of Leonardo Dicaprio, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp. I couldn't understand how otherwise intelligent girls could transform into such senseless, drooling devotees. Then I found Richard Armitage. Since then, I've felt absolutely ridiculous, now in my thirties, grinning like a school girl every time I find a new blog post about him or picture of him. I've also managed to hide my obsess... er... interest from many of those who know me. Those who I have revealed my love of all roles RA would probably say they wish they didn't know this about me. I can't say it gets any better, as I've been nursing this crush for almost 5 years. I will say it peaks and wanes, but, so far, no end in sight. Good luck to you; really enjoyed reading your story. I'll be looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Welcome! Should I put you on the Addict List now or wait awhile? :D

    LOL! I totally agree about Blue Steel and that picture!

    I'm not sure about it going away, but then I'm certainly not a good one to ask about it. Still trying to figure it out myself. I guess I prefer to think we all have great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the warm welcome!

    @littlevictories giddy is exactly how i feel about him too, and even while appreciate some other actors talent I'm not scouring the internet for little bits of information on them and any pictures I can find :)

    @rafrenzy it would be fantastic to be on the Addict List, I love your blog by the way. And yes kudos to all of us for our impeccable taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Done! :D

    And thank you for the kinds words. I hope you can have some fun with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Billy Joel when I was younger (angsty musician); and I have always loved James Stewart's sincerity and Ronald Colman's voice. I thought Colin Firth was great as Darcy, but I think that was mostly Darcy-love rather than Colin-love, although I've grown to appreciate him in other roles, too. I've also had somewhat crushes on Sam Elliott and Sam Neill, but those were more along the lines of "oh, one of my favorite people is in a movie, I'll definitely see it." I wouldn't seek out articles on them, etc.
    But none of that appreciation/fandom/whatever compares to the sledgehammer that hit me when I saw North and South. Wow -- Richard Armitage had it all: good looks, sincerity, voice, depth of emotion, complex acting ability, good humor, kindness to others in the profession, etc.

    I've been an addict for 5+ years now. Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are great. I love you're open text because it's giving me the feeling that we can express our selves out loud on the internet, without the shame because their will always be someone who has the same sort of ideas.

    Don't take me down at the grammar mistakes, I'm Dutch and recently discoverd this page: http://fanlore.org/wiki/Richard_Armitage

    ReplyDelete